Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Seasons End

It is the season for giving.

Well this is it, the last blog of the year. No pressure though, it’s really just another one in a pretty decent sized list of them. After reading Bills' post from yesterday it got me thinking about the Gothic. In specific Bill touched upon the Gothic being like a family. I have always joked about Laura being my sister and Kathy being the cool aunt whose house you wanted to go to but now I think there’s a touch of truth to it. The feelings I have for the people I work with are stronger than those I have for friends, and it’s different than being someone’s best friend. It’s hard to put a finger on it. In reality I spend at least 8 hours a day here and 7 of those are with these people. It would be hard for even the most unwilling person to not form a bond of some sort.

So as the Gothic has become my extended family, I thought I might gift them via this blog with some things I would give them if they existed yet, so step with me for a second into the future when things are vastly different. I think I’ll do this via seniority:

Laura: Stephen Fry in America (she’s been waiting for this forever), all the VH1 reality shows made from 2009 forward on BluRay DVD, a BluRay DVD player, a digital cable tuner enhancer (so she can finally get her DVR from Time Warner for all the reality shows I don’t gift her), and finally soundproofing for her walls (so the neighbors will stop waking her up in the middle of the night)

Kathy: Free Range Knitter and It Itches (two books about one of her favorite hobbies), (I was going to include a book here but man she has enough books to read so instead) free time to read, Febreze for Cars (she knows what I mean), the complete Boston Legal on DVD (so good), a robot shredder to filter it’s way through the massive amount of papers on her desk and shred the unnecessary ones.

Bill: a functioning mailing list, Then We Came to the End (if he hasn’t read it already, right up his alley), (speaking of alleys) that wicked cool bowling ball that Bill Murray uses in Kingpin (two words: awesome), a pair of earphones that muffle out the inane drubbing of student employees talking about parties and such, a big book of really hard crosswords (this guy plows through the easy ones around here)

Our Customers: a new layout that is more organized and easier for you to find the book you’re after in that subject, the end of construction (thanks for hanging in there with us), a wonderful sitting area that is both comfy and functional, lots of free time to read and enjoy your favorite authors brand new story or idea.

I could list our student employees here as well but the list would be too long to read then (if it’s not already). Our students are like my cousins they come over and visit we have a great time and they go home (and we probably annoy Aunt Kathy somewhere in there).

In closing, thanks for a wonderful 2008; you make working here worth getting out of bed for. See you in ’09.

No comments: