Thursday, April 9, 2009

In Memoriam: Dave Arneson


I just want to echo the sentiments in this link. I’m not sure how my life would have panned out if it were not for the systems this man created. It is hard for me to imagine a world without RPG’s in it. The sad thing is to many his death will go unnoticed. Many people think RPG’s have nothing to do with their existence, and for many they might not. But, if you’ve ever played an RPG of any type, played a MMORPG, or enjoyed the feel of an RPG on your next generation gaming system then this man was responsible for helping define it.

Some may argue that the Monster Manual or the D&D Rules Book don’t constitute reading a book. I beg to differ those books are equal parts story and textbook, and in a way more difficult to get through than a regular book.

In closing, this man created the skeleton on which all RPG’s are forged today and for that I honor his passing.

No comments: