Wednesday, February 18, 2009

You’re all so shy….

Events in the Gothic today (well, not exactly in) brought to mind children’s books. Arthur is the proud father of a new baby girl and I started thinking about what books I give babies. I know lots of people go the traditional route of Goodnight Moon or Pat the Bunny, both wonderful books and ones kids love, but I like to give lesser known ones and ones that I think are fun and hope that the parents will too since they are apt to have to read it out loud over and over and over. My current favorite is SouperChicken, a charming story of a chicken who can read and how this goes from being a bad thing to being a really good thing. Two of my favorites for little girls, as antidotes to the usual roles for girls in fairy tales, are The Paper Bag Princess and Cinder Edna. The Paper Bag Princess is the tongue-in-cheek story of a princess named Elizabeth who has to rescue her prince from a dragon. Cinder Edna is Cinderella’s neighbor who falls in love with the prince’s goofy younger brother, Rupert. There are two shoes left at the ball, one slipper and one loafer, and the contrasts between the two couples will leave you giggling.

So why, you might ask, did this start out with “you’re all so shy?” I know people out there are reading our blog, but no one ever answers my questions. What are your favorite kids’ books to give as gifts -- or read yourself? Show me you’re bold – comment!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, and my kids, like the 'Bad Kitty' series by Nick Bruel